Financial Aid Policies

Questions? 503.552.1660 / Toll-free 877.669.8737 or


Federal student aid funds for NUNM students are available only to students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and enrolled at least half–time at the university. Students who attend NUNM on an F–1 Visa (foreign students) are not eligible to participate in federal student aid programs.


If a student finds it necessary to withdraw, either completely or from specific courses, the following policies apply:

  • The application fee, submitted with the initial application for acceptance into NUNM, is nonrefundable.
  • The acceptance deposit fee will be forfeited by a student who withdraws after accepting admission, but before attending classes.
  • Calculation of tuition refunds are based on the date the student begins NUNM’s withdrawal process.
  • Tuition refunds will first be applied to balances due NUNM.
  • If a student receiving financial aid is eligible for a refund, that refund is returned to the Federal Financial Aid program.

NUNM is required to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing at least 60 percent of an academic quarter. Recalculation is done from the actual date the student begins the institution’s withdrawal process. For students who leave without notifying the institution, calculations will be made from the last day of recorded attendance or the midpoint of the quarter. Recalculation is based on formulas that determine the amount of aid earned and the amount of aid to be returned. The formulas used for recalculation can be obtained from NUNM’s Financial Aid Office. Federal refund calculations are completely independent of NUNM’s tuition refund policies. Federal Title IV Funds are always returned in the order mandated by the U.S. Department of Education. For graduate–level students attending NUNM the order is:

  1. Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  2. Graduate PLUS Loan

Note: The Federal Title IV refund calculations only apply to withdrawals from all classes. However, if a student changes track and if there is an adjustment made to her/his tuition charge, the Financial Aid Office may recalculate the student’s Cost of Attendance Budget to see if her/his aid eligibility has changed.